Holiday Travel Tips- Fairhaven, MA 02719
Many people choose to travel during the holidays by automobile, with the highest fatality rate of any major form of transportation. In 2013, 343 people died on New Year's Day, 360 on Thanksgiving Day and 88 on Christmas Day, according to Injury Facts 2015. Alcohol-impaired fatalities represented 31% of the totals.
- Use a designated driver to ensure guests make it home safely after a holiday party; alcohol, over-the-counter or illegal drugs all cause impairment
- Make sure every person in the vehicle is properly buckled up no matter how long or short the distance being traveled
- Put that cell phone away; distracted driving causes one-quarter of all crashes
- Properly maintain the vehicle and keep an emergency kit with you
- Be prepared for heavy traffic, and possibly heavy snow
- Keep a blanket, flashlight, water and some non-perishable food in your vehicle in case you become stranded.
- Print-out directions as back-up to your navigation. Service & software outages happen.
- Give yourself ample time to travel. Unexpected weather conditions can hinder drive time as well as all other means of transportation.
Remember, when guests are staying in your home, make sure areas have night lights or easy-to-reach lamps in case they need to get up during the night. And, whether you are visiting someone else's home or you have guests in your home, make sure all medications are kept up and away and out of sight from young children.
These Holiday Safety Tips were provided by the Consumer Product Safety Commission; in an effort to help everyone have a healthy & safe holiday season! From all of us at SERVPRO of Dartmouth/New Bedford South HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!